Sunday, January 03, 2010

Homemade Gray-Hoverman Antenna

I built an antenna over the holiday weekend. It receives just as well as the Radio Shack VHF/UHF that I bought twenty years ago for $30. I left that one in the attic at my last house when I moved.

I based it on the DBGH, double bay Gray Hoverman, designs that I found online at a Canadian forum. Below is a picture of of the one I built.




I used some old wood and wires and hardware that were lying around out in the garage so it did not cost me a dime of real money, just the time that I put into it. I figure I saved about $100 based on comparable antennas online.

I am picking up 28 channels just as I did at the other house with the RS antenna and I am feeding my whole house, which is currently three TV's. Several of these channels even broadcast in full HD so it looks real good on my HDTV.

If I had to built it again, I would just build a single bay and put a pre-amp on it. Give it a try. It wasn't that hard and it works very well.

No comments: